Gordon County Schools (GCS) is now accepting applications for our 2021-2022 high school virtual learning academy. Gateway Virtual Learning Academy is a program designed for high school students who desire a non-traditional route to a high school diploma. The program will have both an in-person and online component with flexible scheduling options. Once enrolled, students must commit to a full year in the program.
Gateway Academy Overview and Admission Requirements
• Gordon County Schools students in grades 9-12 are eligible to apply for admission into the Gateway Academy.
• Acceptance into the Gateway Academy will be based upon space availability and students’ previous academic performance. Academic performance for students currently enrolled in a GCS high school will require a minimum of a 2.5 high school GPA and a passing grade in at least 3 of 4 high school classes during the previous semester. Rising freshmen will be eligible to apply based upon a passing grade in at least 3 of 4 middle school core classes.
• Students not currently enrolled in GCS, but living in Gordon County, will be allowed to apply for admission to the Gateway program by enrolling in a Gordon County high school. These students must meet minimum requirements to be considered for admission to the Gateway program.
• Students will be required to attend in-person sessions during the first two weeks of the semester and then earn the ability to work virtually if the student is maintaining adequate academic progress.
• Students and their families will be responsible for transportation to and from the Gateway facility whenever in-person meetings are required. Transportation will not be provided to and from the facility.
• Gateway Academy teachers will be available during scheduled office hours should students require supplemental instruction and/or tutoring.
• Students will have 24/7 access to the Learning Management Systems and course content beyond Gateway Academy’s hours of operation.
• Students will be required to report to the Gateway Academy facility based upon their pace and academic progress in accordance with the requirements of their program delivery model.
• Students will be encouraged to progress through the coursework at their own pace but must meet minimum pacing standards as listed in the pacing guides.
• All students taking classes through Gateway will be required to take and pass any state or district-mandated assessments.
• Students will be permitted, and are encouraged, to interact in extracurricular activities at their respective schools of enrollment. However, students must meet eligibility requirements set forth by GHSA or other governing bodies in order to participate in a particular activity.
Students must submit an application to be considered for the program. Acceptance is not guaranteed, as spots are limited, and all applications will be evaluated for approval based upon a variety of factors, including attendance history, student motivation criteria, and current academic progress.
Initial applications are being accepted through April 26. Students who are accepted to the program will be notified by mail no later than May 14, 2021. Once accepted, students and their guardians will receive an orientation packet, including more information on the program logistics and a contract outlining the student's responsibility for successfully completing the program.
To complete an application, visit https://forms.office.com/r/5utznD6vx9
It's a GOOOOOD Day in the Phoenix Nation!! Please see below for this weeks announcements:
- Time for Sophomores to order their class rings. Students may purchase their rings online at https://www.jostens.com/jewelry/class-jewelry/high-school/
- Prom will be held May 1st here at SHS from 7:00-10:00 p.m. This year's theme is Maskarade Under the Stars. Tickets are $50/ea. and you can purchase them from Mrs. Farmer in the Counseling Office.
- Seniors, we have several scholarships posted to our website. Please make sure to visit the scholarships page and fill out all applications that apply. If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Farmer in the Counseling Office. https://www.gcbe.org/Page/3075
3/15: Teacher Professional Learning/Student Holiday
**3/25: Cap and Gown delivery for Seniors (Date has been changed. Please see Mrs. Farmer for any questions)
4/5-9: Spring Break
- Prom date, time and location have been set: May 1st, 2021 from 7:00p.m.-10:00p.m. at Sonoraville High School. This year's team is Maskarade Under the Stars. Tickets will be $50/ea and can be purchased from Mrs. Farmer in the Counseling Office.
Parents and Guardians,
Below is the link to the video explaing the process of registration, what next year will look like for your student and a tour of the school. Hopefully this answers any questions you may have. If not, please contact Mrs Farmer at 706-602-0320 ext. 3001
- Please remember SHS HIGHLY encourages face masks when students and faculty are in common areas. We want our students to be healthy and stay together as long as possible. So please mask up!
- Parking spaces will be half price for the remainder of the year, at $15. Please see Mrs. White, in building 4, if you wish to purchase a spot.
- Please be reminded that breakfast and lunch are at no cost to students this year. Students may participate in "PALS" and pick-up, at no cost, individual items to go with lunches from home, etc.
SHS Phoenix Masks may be purchased at the Building 4 Student Services Desk for $5.00.
- Masks are expected in commons areas.
- All should self monitor and stay home if they, or anyone in their family, have any COVID-19 symptoms. You may visit the GCBE website for more information. https://www.gcbe.org/site/Default.aspx?PageID=10266
- Students may log onto Schoology, if home, and complete their school work.
- Please email Brittany Henson, at email@example.com, if you or anyone in your family, have symptoms or have been tested. Mrs. Henson will assist you with school advice and when you may return to school.
- Reminder: we cannot accept deliveries of any kind- including food.
Thank you for your understanding and helping keep SHS healthy.
Sonoraville High School Salutes Their Alumni Who Serve-- THANK YOU for YOUR SERVICE!!
Veterans Day 2020