Bus Safety Information
At the Bus Stop
- Get up and get ready on time. Arrive at the bus stop five minutes before the bus is scheduled to come.
- Wait at the bus stop in a safe place, 12 feet away from the road.
- Wait in an orderly group. Form an orderly line as the bus approaches, with the first student in line standing 12 feet away from traffic.
- Return home and get help or phone for assistance if you miss the bus.
- NEVER chase after the bus.
- NEVER walk to another bus stop.
- NEVER allow your parents to drive you to another bus stop. Your bus driver will not be expecting you.
Loading on the Roadway
- If you DO have to cross the road to GET ON the bus:
- Wait 12 feet off the road and wait for the bus to stop and for the driver’s signal for when it is safe to cross from where you are standing.
- Look for moving cars as you walk to the edge of the road.
- Stop at the edge of the road and look both ways to be sure that any moving cars come to a stop.
- Look both ways for moving cars while walking straight across the road.
- Cross 12 feet in front of the bus.
- Make sure you can see the bus driver, so they can see you.
- Stay away from the front and rear bus tires.