ACT & SAT Registration and Fee Waivers

  • ACT

    The ACT is a national college admissions examination that consists of subject area tests in English, Mathematics, Reading & Science. The ACT with writing includes the four subject area tests plus a 40-minute writing test. ACT results are accepted by all four-year colleges and universities in the US.


    The SAT is an entrance exam used by most colleges and universities to make admissions decisions. The SAT is a multiple-choice, pencil-and-paper test created and administered by the College Board.

    What Is The Purpose of The ACT & SAT?

    The purpose of the ACT & SAT is to measure a high school student's readiness for college, and provide colleges with one common data point that can be used to compare all applicants. College admissions officers will review standardized test scores alongside your high school GPA, the classes you took in high school, letters of recommendation from teachers or mentors, extracurricular activities, admissions interviews, and personal essays. How important ACT & SAT scores are in the college application process varies from school to school.

    Overall, the higher you score on the SAT and/or ACT, the more options for attending and paying for college will be available to you.

    When should I take the SAT?

    Most high school students take the ACT and/or the SAT during the spring of their junior year or fall of their senior year. It's important to leave time to re-take the test if you need to raise your score before you apply to college.

    Fee Waivers

    For both the ACT and SAT, there are certain guidelines you have to meet in order to be eligible for a fee waiver. It is only available for students who are juniors or seniors, living in the United States, in United States territories, or are a United States citizen living internationally. Students or their families must also prove their need for a waiver. This could be done in several different ways including proof a family receives public or government assistance, enrollment in student aid programs, or the student is an orphan, homeless, or a ward of the state. Students should see Dr. Clance in the counseling office to request a fee waiver.


    Links for more information:


    CollegeBoard (SAT, PSAT/NMSQT, & AP)